View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:18 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
If you can't afford a newly-built apartment in the central city it's not because you're an "Oregonian", it's because you don't make enough money.
In the last three years, I've seen the apartment next door to mine go from $995/mo to $1605. I can't even count the number of people I know who have been priced out of their neighborhoods. It's not just new apartments - I only mentioned new apartments because the streetcar has prioritized new neighborhoods over existing ones. And when I talk about housing, I'm not talking about me. I have a place and all is well... but holy cow, I worry. I worry for my friends. I worry for the people who work at the stores I shop in and the pubs I go to. I think we all should worry - or at least care. How do we keep Portland a place where the people who work here - the people who don't have swanky condos and high paying tech gigs - how do we keep Portland a place they can afford? Or are we just gonna shrug and be cool with the idea of it being a city for the rich and to heck with the rest.

The streetcar price hikes from $100 to $200 to $400 strike a nerve for me because the system still prioritizes the wants of developers over the transportation needs of the rest of the city. I think it's time for that to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Why would one expect one form of public transit to charge a different fare than the others? A (highly-subsidized) ride is a ride, is a ride, is a ride.
As I said, I don't. I'm fine with the streetcar bumping prices all the way up to regular Trimet bus & MAX fares. My gripe is that the system has increased from $100 a year to $400 a year so quickly, yet it still prioritizes developers over the needs of the rest of the city.