View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 10:15 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
With the "Big League Utah" announcement awhile back that explicitly identified the Power District as a "sports entertainment district", and with the diminishing office market that may be permanent with the rise of WFH, I think SLC has a leg up on "The Point" to get the NHL/Jazz arena too.
Do you have a link to the announcement they're creating a sports entertainment district?

There's nothing on the actual site: https://www.slcpowerdistrict.com/

(to be fair, the site hasn't been updated in a while it seems - as it doesn't even mention their association with Big League Utah)

I am not saying you're wrong but the only mention I've heard about a sports district, with the potential of a NHL arena, came from the initial report breaking the news from Building Salt Lake. They mentioned a source that said the site could become home to a NHL team - but there hasn't been anything beyond that I've been able to find.

I know Ryan Smith was initially approached by Mayor Mendenhall and a few others who wanted to have him commit to bring a MLB team to Salt Lake but communication stopped on his end as he kind of just ghosted those associated with the project after an initial meeting. That's when the Millers came into the picture.

But even still, I would be disappointed if the Power District was the site of a NBA/NHL arena because it's still not downtown - and it would remove a central focus of downtown that could still be devastating.

Granted, I'd still like that over Layton or the Point of the Mountain but it would be a disappointment.