View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Westjet cancels flights between Halifax and Europe for summer 2023
Airline mulling bringing transatlantic flights from the city back in 2024
Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Jan 30, 2023 2:31 PM AST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...rope-1.6730733

This is getting concerning. Both Air Canada and WestJet are retrenching and decreasing service to Atlantic Canadian cities. For WestJet, this is a near complete pullout (except for Halifax). For Air Canada, capacity has remained about the same, but service frequency has dropped as more mid sized jets are used to service the market. Some routes have been lost (like Moncton/Ottawa). Porter and PAL are picking up some of the slack, but not enough. Add to this the woes of Sunwing, and it almost seems like the region is suffering a partial abandonment by the national carriers.
Which I find really odd especially with how fast Halifax and Moncton are growing! I wonder if it's a post covid cost cutting measure and then hoping in a year or two with the population continuing to increase, aa demand for direct flights to Europe/Caribbean will be larger than it is now.

Really sad about losing Halifax to Europe as I was planning on using that this summer lol.