View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
In the Sun-Times article there is mention of bringing gondolas back to make a connection from downtown to the campus. While gimmicky I'm starting to like this idea. As serene and appealing as the campus is it is often regarded as to far removed from downtown to easily get to. Even if you had express direct from downtown to the campus I feel the service would be lost on tourist and even the downtown set. Spruced-up gondolas can be made to feel more like exclusive VIP cars with views that get there to the campus in 10 minutes.
I wonder about these gondolas in winter? Granted gondolas are used at ski resorts so it's not their operation in winter conditions that has me questioning them (though they can be shut down during windy conditions and obviously it's not unusual for icy winds blowing in off the partially frozen lake throughout winter), it's whether they could have heating in the winter? If it were me, I'd rather sit in a heated bus between downtown and the Museum Campus in winter than sit in an icy cold gondola.

Quote:
The Disney hotel and turning Burnham harbor into parking are insane however. I don't know of those suggestions are just low-grade trolling or what.
Walt Disney was born in and spent his early childhood in Chicago. Doesn't seem like there's been much capitalization of this link, so I think it might be interesting to have a Disney themed hotel as a tourist draw. I suspect Midwestern tourists, some of whom might find it too costly to take their families to FL and pay the high entry fees for the parks, might enjoy the Disney experience closer to home.