View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 7:18 PM

There has to be more that one way to skin this cat: Preserve 4th district . if you don't get it, you won't. But maybe if you read a little and open your heart , you'lll see why so many people are attached to that area. If you are interested , see below. I'm posting this here because there are folks I don't know how to reach that seem to have the same interest I do in Maintaining our vibe as we grow up. ( growing up to be interesting is way better than just growing up )

An Idea I'm passing on to friends in Austin: look to establish the Warehouse district as a Historical Cultural district. It is all that remains of a larger district that has had many identities. From a Statesman article:

For decades, going back to the 19th century, this industrial area along a former railroad spur hosted Austin’s chili and spinach factories, some of its breweries, lumberyards and dry goods stores, all housed in low, mostly brick buildings.

It also was once home to Austin’s primary Hispanic neighborhood, dubbed “Mexico,” which moved slowly to the east.

Beginning in the 1920s, as well as its infamous red light district, known as “Guy Town.”

By the 1970s, like much of downtown, the Warehouse District had emptied out.

In the 1980s, parts of it were made over into Austin’s main gay club district, with sprinklings of key music venues, including Liberty Lunch .Close statement Article.
Like most situations in that time. The Gays were frontier seekers. More like "where the hell can we go that no one else wants so they willl leave us the hell alone". Colorado Street had more gay bars than even 4th in the late 80s and early 90s.

It was also the home to Capitol City Playhouse in the 80s/90s
What is also often left out is that Oil Cans in the mid 80s was an African American Dance Club called "Fire and Ice".

Much like Rainey to the East. This are IS the reason people became interested in Downtown

Add to that the significance of a gay cultural center that has lasted 40 years in a state like Texas That to this day is trying to erase said community. So while to some gay bars are no longer the center of gay culture. To many , especially in Texas as large State that openly bigoted... they are a point of gathering and information.

As folks are gathering in other formats to discuss this, we are passing this idea around. Hopefully not too late.