View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 27, 2021, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
For a developer trying to make new products though, profits matter. Kinda hard to fund hundreds of million in product development off the back of a sliver of a low cost/low margin small car market.

50 000 Civics may sound like a lot. But that's less than 3% of Canada's auto market. And Honda probably nets $50M max from all Civic sales in the country. Meanwhile, the CRV.....

I'm not arguing that companies shouldn't invest in smaller/lighter vehicles. But I do understand why companies tend to invest in larger and higher margin vehicles first.

The rural whataboutism is such bullshit in a country where nearly half the population lives in the six largest CMAs. The truth is that we are a country of fat and lazy cheapskates who refuse to fund proper infrastructure in urban and suburban areas, insisting that we can't survive without two SUVs in the driveway. It's going to take more than a generation to change that mindset unfortunately. But at least if we start today, our grandkids might live in a country with infrastructure befitting a first world country.
I will say this. I LOVE driving. And as long as Im living I will never not own a car. I love the control, the freedom, the excitement. It's also therapeutic and relaxing to go for a drive.

It's not bullshit, given outside of Toronto you have massive cities like Vaughan, Markham, Mississauga, Milton, Burlington, Newmarket, Barrie, etc that don't have subways. We need cars to get to the grocery store or to visit family that owns acreage in the country. How the hell would you ever visit Muskoka or Blue Mountain... teleport? You need to get your head into reality that the downtown Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver crew are in the minority. The CMA's that surround them are very much car dependent. Cars aren't evil and they will be around for well beyond the time you are on this planet.