View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Was there a weighted population density done for cities only? I might've missed it, but would be interesting to see.
Alas no city proper list. The Census query tool I'm using (linked like 20 pages back, when we started the 20k ppsm lists) does not have a municipality filter.

The Cook County dissection in my past few posts is aiming to get the Chicago city tracts by trimming off the townships one by one, and there are a few other cities (Boston, Minneapolis, perhaps Detroit) that have straightforward boundaries and can be extracted.

But cities with complex boundaries like Houston probably can't be mapped neatly to tracts to hand calculate, and then Los Angeles has both complex borders as well as the sheer scale of selecting that many tracts. I would like to know LA city's density, but without the subdivision grouping of Cook County to break up the process into manageable chunks, I don't see how to do LA without taking the map and pulling tract, by tract, by tract. LA city is likely around 1100 tracts, and that would be a task.

In theory, pulling LA County apart city/CDP by city/CDP should work, continuing until the remnant is LA city.

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Sep 7, 2021 at 9:01 PM.