View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Just happened to see this picture and I thought it nicely illustrated how much potential this spot has but how it's in a compromised state right now, held back by a couple of problems:
I'm curious about what you are referring to, i.e. "a couple of problems".

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Too bad the old Royal Bank building was torn down. The old Bank of Montreal looked interesting too. Not very large but with a grand entrance much more impressive than what the modern office tower has.
I agree with you, although I recognize that, as assets of major banking orgainizations, there would have been virtually zero chance of not redeveloping the sites for sparkling new office towers, especially in the 1960s and 70s. I do wonder sometimes how the Bank of NS resisted redeveloping that gem of a building on Hollis St, and am thankful that they didn't. I am also happy that the old Bank of Commerce building still exists, though I do sometimes wonder if it will continue to survive as downtown redevelopment opportunities continue to be used up, and there's a good chance it could just be seen as a new opportunity (I was inside the building when it was Elephant and Castle, and it still had retained its elegant ceiling and other decorative touches from that era of banking).

I was wondering when those buildings were torn down, and though I haven't yet found any pics showing the existence of those buildings near end-of life (perhaps in the 1960s?), I have found pics that included the BMO and RBC buildings during construction:

Royal Bank (January 1968):

Source

Source

Bank of Montreal (labeled as 1970):

Source

I agree that the old Bank of Montreal building, although relatively small, was somewhat grand in appearance, as was the style that they the bank followed at the time. A smaller, more quaint version still exists in Lunenburg, showing a similar architectural flavour:

https://goo.gl/maps/cchzx3w3NpKcnKJ37

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; May 16, 2021 at 3:35 PM.