View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
yeah unfortunately the market includes suckers (or, more charitably, people who are new to the area and have no idea about that area).
Or maybe they just don't care what they're getting into. I see situations right here in my neighborhood where people are paying over $1M for a beautiful house located next door to a total dump, and two blocks from a homeless camp. I've been finding that people in general are way more tolerant of their surroundings than I am. I get pissed if a neighbor doesn't keep their yard mowed like I think they should, or doesn't take care of peeling paint. But most people I know are way more tolerant than I am. They do their thing, and let others do their thing. Of course, it's way different if you have a strong HOA, which is very common in newer suburbs but not in older areas of cities. I would love to live in a neighborhood with a strong HOA, but then I wouldn't have all the things I love about living right in the city.

Edit: It does seem that people I know pay more attention to crime rates than other things. But we still have plenty of people buying in areas I would consider unsafe and paying very high prices.