View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
- The absence of street interaction with Assumption is probably partly based on the the nature of Assumption itself (a boulevard whose primary purpose (at that point) is as a bypass on the south side of downtown), and partly because a setback was necessary due to the pre-existing NB Power substation bordering Assumption.
Assomption doesn't need to be a boulevard whose primary purpose is a bypass for downtown. It can be, with some work, an urban avenue with a friendlier environment for residents, pedestrians, and active transportation users. This development had a chance to front onto Assomption and turns its back on it entirely.

Quote:
- There will be ground level retail/commercial facing Record, and at the corner or Record and Foundry.
Which is fine, but I don't think it makes up for the lack thereof on Foundry and Assomption. Surface parking in a new development in the downtown is inexcusable, IMO.

Quote:
- The setback on Record itself is really the only controversy, but this provides an entry point for the entire development around which the three towers are clustered. The surface parking here is modest, and I presume is designed for visitors to the development.
Surely there's enough surface parking throughout the downtown as is for visitors if they want to swing by. Is this development being built for residents of downtown or for people visiting?

Quote:
Keep in mind that this development is on the edge of the downtown core. If it were on Main Street, further east on Assumption, or in the downtown proper, like on Downing Street, I would agree completely with your reservations.
The downtown core will eventually have to expand but developments like this really, really, really take away from what Moncton could and should be building in its downtown. This development should be on Mountain - not downtown.
Disappointed but not overly surprised. I figured something like this was coming when the rumour was that there were three different buildings of the same height. Very lazy and unimaginative.