View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I realize there are 4 corners at the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave. and I am wondering where The Royal Room was located. I'd first noticed it on this record album somewhere along the way:

Discogs

Jack Teagarden and His Band Live at the Royal Room, Hollywood November 1, 1951.

In searching around online for Las Palmas Ave. recently I came across this photo:

Fire at Royal Room, Hollywood and Las Palmas, December 6, 1957. Photographer: Wesselmann.
Fireman chops up the bar in effort to extinguish flames in woodwork at Royal Room.

No other photos or information.

USC LD

Same place? That's as far as I seem to be getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Martin Pal, the 1956 L.A. City Street Directory shows the Royal Room at 6700 Hollywood Blvd., which would be the SW corner of Las Palmas Ave.

Thank you HenryHuntington!

Well, apparently when I wrote above that the album was the first I'd heard of the Royal Room, that wasn't the case. In December of 2017 I posted 5 Christmas themed photos. But this photo is missing on the post now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
We've seen a lot of similar images, but I don't recall this one before; a Getty Images photo of Hollywood Blvd. at the holidays, looking east from Las Palmas.
No date is given, but the Vogue Theatre has a banner showing The Story of Molly X playing, which premiered in November, 1949.

Notice the ladder leading up to an opening in the bottom of the [metal Christmas] tree. Could a person crawl inside them?

To the right of this tree is a blade sign for a place I don't recall before. It looks like it's the Royal Room. [...] I believe this location was later the Gold Cup.

I did find another photo, from a block away, to the left of the Egyptian Theatre, showing the blade sign. It's dated 1951, the same year the above Jack Teagarden album was recorded live there.

Link

I did find that other photo on Alamy Stock photo: The banner at street level for Royal Room (blade sign right) looks like it might say Dixieland.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 18, 2021 at 12:29 AM. Reason: add photo