View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I would certainly say that San Antonio is the most *charming* large city to visit in Texas. As a place to live, Houston is much more interesting and fulfilling...IN MY OPINION. Living in S.A., I really miss the everyone-from-everywhere-United-Nations-type-feel that Houston has. The internationalism in Houston is in your face all over town. Here, it's basically Anglo and Hispanic. Not even a very visible Black community. Nor Asian.

And here's a dirty little secret about San Antonio... outside of downtown, it *can* be every bit as ugly as the ugliest parts of "un-zoned" Houston.

Edited to add: Driving around certain parts of San Antonio, specifically areas just north and just south of downtown, I see SOOOO much unrealized potential. Some of the projects in this thread give me hope, though.

I would assume that Houston is the most diverse city in Texas, but when you look at the population as a whole the ethnic makeup of Houston is not all that different than San Antonio's.

Houston metro is nearly 45% Hispanic, 25% percent white, 23% black, 7% Asian, and 1.3% Other races.

San Antonio is 60% Hispanic, 28% white, 7% black, 3% Asian, and 1.4% other races.

Outside the four major ethnic groups, San Antonio is a hair more diverse than Houston, at 1.4%(Other races) versus 1.3% (Other races)for Houston.

Houston is a bigger city and therefore the ethnic groups and their populations are larger in raw numbers and more apparent giving it a more international feel.

Houston does have more consulate offices than San Antonio, a more cosmopolitan feel, but at a percentage perspective it is not all that more diverse.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Mar 8, 2021 at 3:25 AM.