View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That's like using the argument, in a conversation about whether or not the 49th parallel border should have extended into Vancouver Island, "no, because the people living in the Victoria of nowadays have much more friends/relatives in Vancouver than Seattle".
Difference is there were no checkpoints and visa checks at the Lab-Quebec border. You out number us 15-1. Even ignoring the language barrier, if there was a real interest in living in the area a lot more frenchman would be living in lab city now.

This isn't a 49th parallel thing, this is people going up river from where they were already living.

The watershed argument isn't remotely an arbitrary British ruling.

It's the common sense that the whole world lives under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I think your view is a bit of a slippery slope. Under your view, Russia could grab legitimate parts of Ukraine totally illegally including by Russia's own admission, then proceed to resettle Russians to it and a few years later, "return that land? sorry, no can do, that territory is now full of Russians" and that argument would win the case.
Watersheds isn't a slippery slope it's almost the literal definition of something that can't be made slippery.

Your example would make more sense if the Russians did something like claim part of the Arctic owned by American, populate it and have the traditional majority of the population.

If this were the past I think hands down the bulk of the peninsula should of stayed in the hands of natives. My point was that currently the integration is so high it wouldn't make any sense.

Last edited by LakeLocker; Feb 6, 2021 at 8:01 PM.