View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:27 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
A quick google reveals that there were circa 2600 Airbnb units in Halifax the summer of 2019. I wonder how many of the protesters at the recent rent control protest have used an Airbnb? I wonder how many have used Uber or other IT 'solution' web based services that impair us (WE the government not THEY) from colleting sufficient tax dollars to provide market cost units for people in need.
I don’t yet know enough about rent control to stand firmly behind it, although remain curious to learn about its benefits and drawbacks. I think renters and hotel operators alike both have valid reasons for disliking Airbnb as well.

If this utopian path to an affordable housing market for owners and renters, all while encouraging sizeable profits for developers was easily fixed by pumping out supply en masse, every party involved would do their best to make that happen from the outset. S&D is a valid explanation, but not a complete solution.

That’s why I’m sceptical about Killam’s complaints when they’ve clearly had a very good year. I like their work on this project, and I imagine they’ll be lovely units. However, it’s in bad taste to play on the local housing crisis to promote your business.