View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I was, and am still, talking about the longest stretch of continuous development without significant interruption to the "urban footprint" (i.e., the developed, unnatural area)... be that interruption forests or mountains or farms... and I'm not just considering it to be development that thinly hugs a highway route.

The Southern California area is obviously bigger than South Florida. If you can't see how mountain ranges and agricultural land provides some breaks in the massive urban sprawl of the greater LA area, then there's nothing really more I can say on the topic.

But let's just pare it down to a nice round number, 100-mile straight shot for shits and giggles. Let's go from Jupiter to Florida City in a straight line... for that entire stretch, you will find nothing but artificial, urbanized area. Now do a same 100-mile straight shot for the LA area... go from Ventura and head east for 100 miles... go from Ventura and head southeast for 100 miles. You're going to traverse undeveloped mountain or agricultural areas. Use another starting point and do the same thing, doesn't matter -- you will pass thru undeveloped area (and even using a highway route, you're going to find the same thing). Aerial mapping doesn't lie.

You're not going to traverse undeveloped areas.
The mountains are north and south of development.
The 101 development is pretty evident on Google maps and more than a sliver. Thats where most of ventura County growth is.

South East from Ventura? Sure. But east, no.