View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:13 PM

"Son can you play me a memory I'm not really sure how it goes..." Music is the greatest distillery of truth, emotion and soul. Billy Joel's monster 1st single Piano Man (1973) was born in the Executive Room (3953 Wilshire, LA) where he spent 6 months in 1972 under an assumed name Bill Martin. His 1st album had a mastering error and failed. Joel wanted to leave that label to join Columbia Records but couldn't leave his contract. So he played here 6 months while in legal limbo under a different name as lawyers tried to free him. Joel met his first wife Elizabeth Weber here. "The waitress is practicing politics." That's her. "John at the bar" was an actual bartender here. "Paul is a real estate novelist" refers to an actual customer named Paul (a real estate broker) writing here every night, aspiring to be the next great American novelist. And then there was Bill Martin..."He says, Bill, I believe this is killing me..And the piano sounds like a carnival. And the microphone smells like a beer.And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar...And say, Man what are you doing here?"

https://findery.com/Chung123/notes/b...executive-room