View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The whole project, including transportation and TOD. Look at Edmonton and Calgary's LRT lines as an example of what I'm talking about... there is an immediate payoff in terms of additional transportation infrastructure, but there is still new TOD happening decades after the rails were laid on LRT routes. There is a long game here, which is why I don't worry about it too much if someone rides their bike down the AT trail and notices empty parking lots near the stations.
Development of any kind is completely dependent upon the economy though. Again I really hate to downplay the comparisons to Edmonton and Calgary (as they're the closest comparison we got!) but Edmonton and Calgary have had it rough this last decade. I agree that there is a long-game to be played however Winnipeg's Phase 1 has not got anything to show for it after almost 10 years of operation. I'm willing to bet that most transit systems have something to show after 8 years of operation whether it be excellent ridership numbers or one great TOD.

One of the many problems with Winnipeg's BRT is that there was no immediate pay off with Phase 1. I have been saying this all along but Phase 1 and Phase 2 should have just been ONE phase. Other cities with similar sizes are able to construct significant infrastructure pieces about 11km long without having to do it the Winnipeg way which leads me to wonder which level of government needs a clean out.

The immediate pay off for phase 2, like you mentioned before, will definitely not be detected until after cities start operating normally again. I think that when the dust settles, Phase 2 will hopefully alleviate some misconceptions about rapid transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I do agree with your point that the way the SW BRT line was built near each end of the route is seriously lacking. The stretches between Harkness and Graham, as well as Markham to the stadium leave much to be desired.
The U of M will never see a true extension (or a station) until all other extensions are built first. I'm not even that old and I seriously doubt that I will live long enough to see a true extension into the U of M - which is sad.

The real nail in the coffin for me is how the extension into downtown will play out. That specific segment into Union Station and further into downtown will make or break the city's transit system.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; May 7, 2020 at 6:46 PM.