View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:39 PM
Future World Dictator

Extremely off topic but re: the census, all good points made above about why we're under-counted. Also our high number of college students. Temple has a total enrollment approaching 40k, Penn and Drexel each about 25k, plus St. Joes, USciences, UArts, etc. How many of those students respond to the census stating that they live in Philly, as opposed to their hometown? 10%? Maybe 20%? I was a college student in 2010 and don't recall anyone I know completing the census themselves or stating that they lived at their college address, it was always their parents filling it out stating that they lived at home (full disclosure: I'm not sure what college students are supposed to do about the census; maybe you're supposed to list your parents address, I honestly don't know). And a lot of these younger people, even if they stay in Philly after graduation, continue to use their parents address for anything 'official' (taxes, voting, drivers license, etc.), particularly if they're from PA originally. A good friend of mine (who is now 30+ and lives in Philly) continues to 'live' at his parents address in the Philly suburbs as far as any level of government is concerned, and it took 5+ years for most of my other friends to use their non-parents addresses.