View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I don't know, man. While I agree DTLA has a long way to go, and should ideally blow away the smaller cities you mentioned, I think downtown Phoenix is much more comparable to downtown San Jose due to its suburban office park look and feel. As relatively small as DTLA is, I've never felt that same vibe there.
When I’m saying development patterns I mean the entire city/metro

Both la in a Phoenix spread out post war, hopscotching across their desperate basins, master planned communities car oriented suburbs and the development of multiple small cores spread out over a large geographic area, which eventually merged together.

La was filled out decades ago so they began to densify earlier.

San Jose to me is much like riverside (not in urban form in economic function) as it doesn’t operate or seem like it’s own independent place, it’s a second core in the orbit of San Francisco.

I also wouldn’t say downtown Phoenix feels like a suburban office park. There was a couple of megablocl projects built in the 1990’s that do have that feel on the east side of downtown near the convention center, however there is currently a bunch of redevelopment dollars going to the retcon of those terrible projects to make them less super blocky 1990 and more interactive with the rest downtown.

So I wouldn’t use the term suburban but I would say small, for a region of 5 million downtown feels like it belongs to a city of 500k