View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
as of right now, this thread is listed as having 29,206,377 replies. The next closest thread in the current main list shows only about 1,000,000 replies.

Is there something about old LA....including noirish LA....that makes for a topic that grabs ppl's interest in a way that other places don't? If so, is it the hollywood connection? The weather? Nostalgia for a place that changes more dramatically than certain other cities like in europe or in the US like chicago, SF, DC, boston do?

or is it the town's wacky cultural trends going back generations? Like bldgs shaped like food or furniture?

Or maybe the OP is more committed to his thread than other OPs of other threads are?

I think all of those reasons are a factor, particularly:
"...maybe the OP is more committed to his thread than other OPs of other threads are?"

E_R's personal interest in this thread keeps it going, IMO, and also his willingness to let us stray from the "noirish" theme that he started it with. That, in itself, the name of the thread, is also a factor in why people have gravitated to it.

Example: One summer I attended a film at AMPAS's Goldwyn Theatre. They showed a double feature of Hitchcock Films, Lifeboat and Shadow of a Doubt. They also had an exhibition of Hitchcock memorabilia in their gallery. The screening was sparsely attended; the theatre was half-full if that.

The following summer they had a Film Noir Series. The selections were one film from each year, 1940 - 1949, and all of them had their screenplays nominated for an Academy Award. The 1943 selection was Shadow of a Doubt. When I attended that screening I was really surprised at the full house. I asked the host of this series in the lobby at some point why he thought there was such a big turnout for Shadow of a Doubt? After all, it's not one of his most famous or best loved films that people might want to see in a theatre, and it also had been shown the year before with one of his better known films and it drew a tepid showing.

His reply, "Just put 'Film Noir' in the advertising and you'll drawn a big audience!"

TRUE! The annual Film Noir series at the American Cinematheque at the Egyptian Theatre is always a huge attraction.

E_R's inclination to name the thread Noirish Los Angeles, was a very good one.

P.S.: Thank you, E_R!