View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Not the best proposal I've ever seen, but I'm inclined to say that any development is better than leaving them as empty lots, as they have been for years. Still, I would prefer to see a better development there, especially at the prominent-ish entrance of the bridge.

In regards to what was there before, here's an aerial photograph from NS Archives. It's undated, but I would say mid to late 1960s. If you go to the link for the photo you can zoom in and see the Halliday's building supply store that Keith was referring to. Over the years since the photo was taken, a number of the buildings shown have been torn down and the lots left vacant.

[URL="https://novascotia.ca/archives/NSIS/archives.asp?ID=2449"]Link to zoomable photo[/URL

Here's another angle:

Link to pic source at NS archives
Great link Mark.
The old 2 storey homes are clearly visible, especially on the zoomable link. Some were low income rentals but anyone one who takes the time to look uo the street directories available in the library will see how many people lived in the area.
Ghosn bought the 25 commercial and residential lots for $3,000,000 on January 31 2018 including the lots bounded by Dickson,Lyle, Williams and Faulkner. And all lots from 24 Dawson to Wyse Road and from 17 Faulkner to Wyse Road.