View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:13 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Pretty inconsistent performances from the Jays lately. Blown out 19-4 yesterday and then a 10-1 win this afternoon. Impressive first HR for Biggio, into the 400 level. When the bats are alive this is a fun team to watch - when they're not, it can be excruciating.

In non-MLB news, I've decided to start following the baseball scene in my neck of the woods: the New Brunswick Senior Baseball League. Went to a Saint John Alpines game on a chilly Thursday night at Memorial Field on the West Side of Saint John for my first live game.

Memorial Field really isn't much more than a field. Bleachers to seat a few hundred, a clubhouse, canteen, hot dog cart, and electronic scoreboard/loudspeakers that look to be several decades old. Great atmosphere though, and I thought the quality of baseball on display was quite good. The Alpines were headlined by starting pitcher Andrew Case, a SJ native who has spent time in the Blue Jays' farm system, and he put on a great performance. The Alpines started things off with a 2-run HR in the bottom of the 1st and they held on to defeat the Fredericton Royals 4-2.

I'll definitely be attending more games, though the weather could stand to warm up a bit!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford