View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:57 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam215 View Post
Ah well that explains why there are always so many homeless people around the 7-11 on chestnut, I would argue that they certainly do have a negative impact on that corner. Also the area around 12th & Market is much more dense and can more easily absorb that type of facility, I think it will stick out and have a more negative impact at 4th and Race.
I am certainly not saying that there should not be shelters, but I don’t think they should be in touristy/high rent areas.
I’m sure none of us would welcome a homeless men’s shelter across the street from our homes.
Little known True Fact®, Old First Reformed Church at 4th & Race has hosted a nighttime Winter Shelter, in conjunction with Bethesda Project, for the past 35 years.

https://oldfirstucc.org/serve/volunteer/winter-shelter/
Old First was the first church in Philadelphia to open its doors to homeless Philadelphians back in 1984.

Today, through a partnership with Bethesda Project, Old First’s Social Hall becomes home to 30 residents from November through April. Bethesda staff serve as night supervisors and provide the primary social services and case management. Old First provides the space and organizes outside groups to host dinners.

Volunteers come from all over the region to prepare, serve, and share an evening meal with the men of the shelter several days a week.