View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I want infill too, and have many times argued that the area around the stadiums should be much more than it is (ie numerous entertainment options, offices, apartments, etc.). I've been to more than a few stadiums in a lot of different areas, and some have no surface parking, places like Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, etc. But those are single stadiums in the middle of the city (and they really, really suck to drive into/out of)...we are different in that we have 3 stadiums/arenas out in the middle of nowhere, getting there by car is still super convenient - love it or hate it, but I believe it was built down there for this very purpose. Places like Pittsburgh have done a good job at balancing multiple stadiums with parking and an entertainment area w/ a bunch of bars and restaurants.
but the area can be developed and still leave vast amounts of surface lots and off set with parking structures.

Look at the huge lot where the Vet used to be, like 3 or 4 square blocks

Even if just the street facing parts were developed along Packer, 11th, Broad even the interior could still have huge amounts of surface parking

also with coordinated traffic flow structured parking can move as quickly as surface on a per car basis; lets not act like people don't get stuck in surface lots for 30-60 minutes in the first place

But even on the edges there it might remove what 10% of the surface spaces; that could easily be offset by a few structures