View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
One of the things that I've noticed while driving by (I actually drive Highway 69 fairly frequently) is that the CN Railway has yet to realign their tracks to the new diversion south of Highway 522 at Cranberry. A few years ago, an advanced contract was tendered in order to grade a new rail alignment bypassing an "S" curve on the train tracks immediately west of the Highway 69 overpass.

Construction to grade the new railway alignment has been finished since 2018, but CN has yet to lay any tracks or electrical systems as of yet in order to by-pass the current segment of their line. Knowing a bit about highway contracts, I'd say that the MTO would be hesitant to tender another contract for highway works until CN finishes their rail realignment, as the MTO could conceivably be on the hook financially for any delays the contractor encountered because CN had not yet cleared their right of way for construction of the new highway.

The grading is visible to the south of the existing rail in this satellite photo from google, but the tracks haven't actually been moved yet.
A friend of mine works for CN and runs that part. AFAIK they are ready to do it. It may be that they are waiting till they have to, as apposed to doing it now. Reality is, the rail bed is ready, so at the same time as the road construction, they could put in the tracks.