View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I was actually just chatting with one of my staff about the commuter rail issue, and wondering what the state of it is. We recruited him here from Europe, and he is of course used to higher level public transport. He had mentioned that his wife would like to live out in Fall River, but he wouldn't want to have to do the drive to the peninsula every day. I was telling him that there was the plan floated for commuter rail that would go right past Fall River area, but that the plan seemed to have cooled off. Anyone know the state of where that sits?
The city is now waiting for the results of a capacity study from CN.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...-commuter-rail

I don't think the project has cooled off. HRM council has already committed $500,000 of funding and there's another $30M or so of funding planned for the next couple of years. There is also a federal infrastructure fund that is supposed to result in around $150M in transit funding for Halifax.

Admittedly it could still not happen if CN is too obstructionist. But if they are not and it is easy to run a reasonable schedule on the existing line then I think the project has a high chance of happening.