View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embora View Post
That would be great. I've heard that, too. At a community meeting, a representative from Civic San Diego posited that the three most likely projects to break ground this year were The Nook, The Block, and 11th & Broadway.

My own thinking is that one of the first signs of action that development-watchers like us would see on the 11th & Broadway project is residents of the California Apartments moving out, since disassembling that building is part of the plan.

A few months ago, I saw a crew working on the C Street side of The Block. Their truck said something about "potholing," which I understand is a method to try to located existing buried utilities.

If I recall correctly, the same Civic SD rep said that the East Village Green was at the point of giving a notice to proceed on the design plans for the park. He anticipated 1 year of engineering design, 6 months of getting permitting approvals, and 2 years of construction. Remember that this park will include two levels of underground parking, and a community center building, so it is not just a matter of demolishing the existing buildings and inserting landscaping.

Someone asked about the Willmark development (on C Street between Park Blvd and 13th Street) that has been blocked off for a while with little to no action, and he said that it turns out that the tectonic fault that was known to be on the site was a bit further east than anticipated, and that the developer was considering going higher with the eastern building. No one present asked how much higher, but I imagine it would be similar to what had been previously approved.

The same rep said that we may hear an announcement about a new use for the old downtown library in the near future, but that he couldn't be more specific.
Thanks for posting this, good information there. Did they mention anything about the Ritz/Whole Foods project 7th and market? What meeting was this and when and where is the next one, would love to attend if it's open to the public.