View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown View Post
I know this may not be new news anymore, but I was just reading on Halifax ReTales that the "Canadian Language Learning Centre" is going in the former GoodLife spot where many here were hoping for a Sobeys of some sort. I suppose any tenant is better than no tenant however it is definitely disappointing to hear. Especially since let's be honest that's a pretty boring tenant for such a large space. A Sobeys really would have been great for the area and the mall with all the new residential projects going up. Here's hoping they can find another spot for a grocery store or some sort downtown.
I'm not surprised. The whole upper floor of the mall is a waste of a retail opportunity. All those call centers used to be department stores and shops. When they closed crombie made it all offices. And now here we are bleeding business to big box mistakes like bayers lake and Dartmouth "sprawling" I like to call it. There are very few buildings in the core that can accommodate large retail and most of them are in scotia square. It would be nice to have a winners/home sense up there or something along those lines. The bell Aliant call center has street front access for heavens sakes. I've always thought it would be an appropriate place for staples as well. Their current building is inappropriate for the direction downtown is moving in.

On a side note, I am against the glazing and natural stone asthetic of the new additions to Scotia Square. If you're going to add something onto a large complex like this you should carry the original materials through to the new structures. That textured concrete and brick. If done well it would look great, and you wouldn't have the harsh contrast between the new and old. Embrace and work with the concrete in a tasteful way, not just ignore it and cover it up!