View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:47 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
White Southerners, the vast majority of British descent. English ancestry was the largest reported ancestry in 1980 at about 50 million, but it dropped nearly in half as Southern whites started, effectively, writing "I'm AMERICAN Goddamn It!" on the census.
In Canada, it's francophones in Quebec that put down 'Canadian' on the census. Anglophone Canadians are far more likely to still associate themselves with the country of their ancestry, be it Chinese, German, Italian, etc. With all the talk of Quebec separatism over the last 3 decades you'd think the Quebecois would be the last in Canada to write down 'Canadian'.

There's also another issue at play. I believe 'Canadian' is listed as the #1 'ethnicity' on the census or it will be very soon. I got tired of ticking off 4 boxes on the census. It occurred to me that 'Canadian' made the most sense for me to put a check mark next to. I'm a mix of many things and people who are just Italian or just Finnish are a dying breed. I imagine a ton of Canadians tick 'Canadian' these days for the same reason I do.

Canadian isn't recognized as an ethnicity today but if we continue to mix we'll develop a very distinct look to us. I