View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 4:10 AM
Starring as himself

Here's a postcard image of Christ Church Victoria under construction in 1928, from my collection. This postcard was sold to local schoolchildren as a fundraiser:

6648. [Christ Church Cathedral, Victoria, B.C.] par wintorbos, on ipernity

I have hundreds of Canadian church postcards but the ones I like best are the simple Methodist and Presbyterian churches on the Prairies. Here is one showing the church district of Carstairs, Alta., including a like-minded Catholic church:

4302. Carstairs, Alta. - Presbyterian, Methodist and Roman Catholic churches par wintorbos, on ipernity

A jolly "multiview" entitled "Higher Life - Vegreville, Alberta":

4292. The Higher Life - Vegreville, Alberta par wintorbos, on ipernity

Presbyterian Church, Lauder, Man., c. 1908:

Presbyterian Church, Lauder, Man. par wintorbos, on ipernity

Interior images of small Protestant churches are less common but often very evocative.

The interior of St. Mark's, Hardisty (Alberta), decked out for the wedding of the recipient in 1914:

4300. St. Mark's Church, Hardisty, Alberta. par wintorbos, on ipernity

Interior of the Methodist church at Mather, Man., c. 1908:

4670. Methodist Church, Mather par wintorbos, on ipernity

Interior of the long-forgotten St. Cuthbert's in the Winnipeg suburb of Elmwood, 1913:

4815. [St. Cuthbert's Church, Elmwood -- interior] par wintorbos, on ipernity

This in comparison with the exuberance of the Roman Catholics of St-Sauveur, Quebec City:

4324. Que Votre Regne Arrive - Saint-Sauveur de Québec par wintorbos, on ipernity

Or the oddness of the sects that proliferated in southern Ontario and the U.S. in the 1800s, as exemplified by David's Temple, home of the "Children of Peace" in Sharon, Ontario:

4701. David's Temple, Sharon par wintorbos, on ipernity

Churches are interesting.