View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:33 PM

I was there over the weekend, never got harassed about taking photos or videos. On the platforms I was discreet, staying out of sight from the security guards. Up on the mezzanine there were dozens of people with cameras out. Nearly everyone in the Occulus was taking pictures. No security or police ever complained. There was even a duo taking a whole photoshoot in the "mall" which is really just a hallway that will have shops...

I saw a pair of pigeons flying through the Occulus. Open for one day and they already can't keep the birds out!

Being able to enter from 4 WTC (in the lobby and in the future "mall" retail space) is a huge plus for the site. They fully built out a PATH entrance in the constructed base of Foster's 2 WTC. I wonder if, with the pull out of Faux, will they decide to open that up in the near future? It'll allow them to begin demo of the temporary entrance next to 1 WTC finally. Last I heard the plan to open the East end of the Occulus along with connections to the Subway lines will come sometime this summer. No word on when the street level entrances to the Occulus along with the balconies will open.

Finally, to answer my own question above, the 2nd floor balcony in the West St. underpass (which allows access to 1 WTC and 1 World Observatory) will span over the PATH hall and eventually connect with another mezzanine level which will provide access to the Cortlandt St IRT station whenever that's finished. This wasn't clear on the blueprints but is apparent in person now that you can walk part of that hallway.

Oh, any Nexus4Jersey, nice shots, but next time don't forget to mind your white balance! It's tricky to get it right in there since they use a few different types of lights. Your eyes don't really notice the color differences but your camera does! If you can, I highly recommend shooting in RAW so you can easily fix it in post.