View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 8:08 PM

Thanks for all the follow-ups and personal memories about Vons and the Broadway-Crenshaw Center. I see the 1947 ad described the tunnel as "half a mile in length, where trucks bring in cargoes of riches from the far corners of the earth."

------------------

Here's the Mar-Fay/Marfay building at 5657 Wilshire Boulevard. The information with these Julius Shulman photos just says they were taken in 1949, but there's obviously some time between the two images. I'm guessing that the one with the Foreman & Clark signage is the later one as the first floor remodel looks more modern, but I could be wrong. This is "Job 593: Wurdeman & Becket, Mar-Fay Building (Los Angeles, Calif.),1949". I've omitted the second picture in the set as it's virtually the same as the third.

Both from Getty Research Institute

The building was mentioned by tovangar2 in post #30962. If you've followed the link to urban diachrony in that post, the current appearance won't surprise you. The urban diachrony post includes a 1955 Julius Shulman picture which doesn't seem to be available at
the Getty Research Institute. The new look does nothing for me.

GSV

At least the building next door, now a branch of IHOP, has fared better. It's lost some detailing along its roofline, but is otherwise recognizable.

GSV