View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:54 PM

We've visited today's Bank of America location before - I'll post the links below the Julius Shulman photos. This is "Job 1004: Bank of America (Los Angeles, Calif.),1951", and it shows the bank at La Brea and Melrose. To the left of the bank is Kaiser Printing.

Next to Kaiser Printing is the Bell & Howell building at 716 N La Brea Avenue, complete with one of their advertising boards.

Looking north, the large structure on the right is the extant La Brea Building. To the right of that is Ted Harris Real Estate.

All from Getty Research Institute

The Bell & Howell building was highlighted by e_r in 2011 in post #4220. The GSV image below shows that it's lost its flagpole and the shields near the top of the tower, but otherwise it looks good. Even the cellphone masts have been painted to match in. It's also a great example of how much better these old buildings look with restrained signage.

GSV

There was a follow-up to e_r's post about the Bell & Howell building, but all the images are missing. I'm guessing that this was one of them. Even the shields had neon.

California State Library

We also visited this intersection in October 2014. BifRayRock posted an undated vintage shot (probably late-20s) showing the bank building and the La Brea Building in post #24109. My follow-up has some information on the buildings, and a couple of "now" pictures, including the one below. Yes, the lovely bank building has been replaced by a Jiffy Lube.

GSV