View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 6:04 AM

I work for one of the top five largest construction companies in the United States, and a major aspect of my job consists of analysis of construction funding sources - both pre-bid and during the construction of our projects. My company is not associated with the construction of the Salesforce Tower, but currently I see absolutely no indication that as a whole, there are any major concerns about the financing of major construction in San Francisco (now and immediate future).

The costs of halting large-scale construction projects are extremely prohibitive, and in the case of Salesforce Tower, could accumulate to as much as 5% of the total construction cost. In my 20 years in the industry, my company has only had one project stopped in Northern California (Sacramento), and I know of only a handful in the United States. For large-scale construction, I would guess that less than 2% of projects experience a stoppage due to project financing. And from what I know of the Salesforce Tower financing and lease terms, I would surmise that this project is one of the least likely in San Francisco to be affected by a downturn in the economy.

Aside from the hiccups to be expected anytime you are building a massive "once in a lifetime" construction project, Salesforce Tower is very close to meeting its planned schedule. I am 100% sure that the goal of absolutely everyone associated with the project is to get it finished as quickly as humanly possible.

So until someone has some concrete evidence to the contrary, I don't see the value or necessity of Chicken Little posts every two weeks.