View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 12:16 PM

Great extra information on Arrigo Balboni, e_r. You also beat me to posting that chop suey picture .

-----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

Found an interesting theater at Whittier and Atlantic.

LAPL
Exterior of the Spanish style Golden Gate Theatre, located at 5176 Whittier Boulevard in East Los Angeles. Guadalajara Jewelers and Vasquez Shoe Repair, along with other shops are also visible in a neighboring building located. Some of the signs are in Spanish. Theater designed by Clifford A. Balch.

Architect Clifford A. Balch designed the 1927 Churrigueresque/Deco style Golden Gate Theater and Vega Building, located at 5176 East Whittier Boulevard, at the corner of Atlantic in East Los Angeles. The entrance replicated the portal of the University of Salamanca in Spain and the original 12 stores, also of Spanish design, were housed on the first floor of the Vega Building. The theater was designed both as a legitimate playhouse, seating 1,500 and a movie house. The courtyard contained two fountains and A.B. Heinsberger created the interiors.
The whole of rcarlton's 2012 post, including interior and "now" pictures, can be found here. I think this "c1930" image pre-dates all of them. It's also the only one I've seen that shows the weathervane on the tower.

eBay

I remember when I first saw the "now" pictures, I had trouble working out what was left. Here's a 1948 aerial showing the theater near the middle of the block on the south-west corner of the intersection. It looks like there was a circular drive-in on the north-east corner. It became a gas station sometime between 1953 and 1964.

Historic Aerials

In 2004, the theater was virtually the only building on the block.

Historic Aerials

As has been previously mentioned (see links below), the theater is now a CVS Pharmacy...

GSV

...and the block has filled in with other businesses.

Google Maps

Follow-ups to rcarlton's original post:

revheavyg - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11432

tovangar2 - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11442