View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2015, 5:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's definitely something like shipping that explains the price difference, Hali. I can't say for sure, haven't been to Halifax in years, but the restaurant fare here isn't shockingly better than anywhere else. There are some standouts that can compete nationally or globally, but they're not the whole.

We found a surprisingly affordable (lunch menu) place downtown today. Blue on Water. Ayreonaut's entire extended family is here, more or less, for his convocation. His grandmother tried toutons after they asked me what they were

Anyhow. Gorgeous spot. We parked on Duckworth and walked down to Water.

(We're standing at near the top of the stairs up to Duckworth. The other streets are George, Water, and Harbour. Water is the main one. Harbour is a back lane in terms of business, but popular with pedestrians).

Blue on Water is right next to one of the few open areas (parking lot) along Water. But the view is lovely. And their windows open up completely to the street so it's like a patio.

The lunch menu was very cheap for St. John's. Didn't even break $20 base price.

Eggs Benedict with pickled beets. They also had a peameal bacon one. We laughed.

I've heard a couple of negative reviews of St. John's lately. One visitor from Van who couldn't believe this is technically a city based on the size of downtown. ("Is this a village?"). But one nice one tonight. One of Ayreonaut's relatives: "I can see why the people get so attached to this place." Yay lol

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 31, 2015 at 6:28 PM.