View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 10:16 PM
ハルウララ

The difference between tolling the Cobequid Pass and tolling New Brunswick highways is that many still remember the old highway going through that section of Nova Scotia and are completely willing to pay to use the Cobequid. The old road was a winding, spiralling highway through the Wentworth Valley, which was both dangerous and lengthy. If you just place tolls on current highways in NB that have been toll-free for quite some time you'll face an extreme amount of opposition. If the Government were smart (big if, of course) they would add tolls to any newer sections of highway that significantly improve upon older, more dangerous/time-consuming roads.

As an example, I would have been totally ok with paying a small $2 toll if it meant I didn't have to drive through Welsford on Route 7, and I know many others who are glad they can now avoid what was easily the worst part of that drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post
More importantly, all the NBers going to the border to get their beer for a fraction of the price would be impacted You're looking at some opposition rigth there
I don't mean to be a downer but, if NBers are crossing the border to buy their alcohol in Quebec, Alcohol NB is losing revenue to Quebec retailers and this does nothing to support the NB economy whatsoever. Same with people who skip down to Bangor for shopping weekends.