View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
I have to say Dal was actually a bit dissapointing building-wise. Not that it doesn't have some cool ones, but my western mind expected it to be much more dominated by old university buildings than it actually is. Overall it didn't feel any more historic than the U of A campus IMO.
I think that's less a reflection on Dal's lack of history and more that U of A is really well built for a western university: Athabasca Hall, Rutherford Library, Rutherford House, the Old Arts Building, St. Stephen's College, St. Joseph's College, and Corbett Hall.

Still, Dal definitely feels more "old" than U of A (which I know pretty well, having lived a few blocks away for a couple of years). It's got two historic quads including the one at King's and the one in front of the Henry Hicks building and its complementary stone buildings. Then there's the Forrest building (and two other great stone buildings on that same block, visible from University Avenue, including the Clinical Research Centre). Shirreff Hall is a pretty authoritative-looking, Georgian-style residence house.

Then, off the Studley campus, there's the architecture faculty and some of the other properties eastward on Spring Garden.

Plus a bunch of smaller Victorian houses, both brick and wooden, on and off-campus housing residences and offices.