View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The recent question by shadyguy about the dead-end stub of 4th Street at Hope prompted me to look for pictures. I think most of the pictures below are new to NLA, but I didn't check every one!

There were many times when I found a great shot of the Hildreth Mansion/Hopecrest and just wished the photographer had turned 45 degrees to left for the view over Flower Street. Then I tried to find photos looking up at the stub, but the only one I found was in a previous post by MichaelRyerson, and that's a wet, blurry view from Figueroa. There seem to be loads of pictures after construction began on the 4th Street Cut, but the earlier ones just miss the instersection of 4th and Hope. The stub is just visible on the 1948 and 1952 images at Historic Aerials, but only if you know what you're looking for. In the end I had to settle for this scale model. According to the caption, the model is located at the California Museum of Science & Industry. The 4th Street stub is on the right side, slightly over halfway down.

The model is incredibly important and endlessly enjoyable! Anyone who's a fan of Noirish should go down to the Natural History Museum and give it a visit. I wrote a goofy piece about it some six years ago and between then and now it has been cleaned, restored, and installed in the show "Becoming LA" which is worth a look to say the least.

On the subject of the 4th St, here are some shots I have of that area on the model.

Here's a shot of the Hershey house after it became the CT -- from this article about the structure