View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
Pretty sure 205 race (early 2015), marina view (Fall 2014), and Renaissance (early 2015) all have start dates at the moment. All three have recently gone through the review committee, neighborhood discussions, redeisgns, etc and appear to finally be progressing...a process that certainly isn't free. The townhomes behind it that were just built, from what I know, are fully rented/sold. Sure, there is definitely a bad history there, but it looks like these three big projects are really pushing forward right now.

Along with sugarhouse came redevelopment of the large building across the street that has recording studios, and then the two large warehouses across from the waterfront square buildings (of which I heard have finally rebounded from lack of interest). One of those two buildings on the west side of collumbus is fully finished and rented while the other is almost finished construction. A shit ton of townhomes are coming in all along front street... some in the oddest of locations. The new performance space across from race street pier is finished. And sugarhouse is finally finishing phase 1.

There are recent plans for dense buildings to come to front and callowhill, front and spring garden, canal street development, delaware and fairmount... along with a bunch of other plans that have died but could be revived.

Conversions of old buildings are fully under way with newly built townhomes everywhere along front street... all we haven't seen after the recession hit is any large-scale new construction.My prediction is that if we get at least one of these larger projects to start... likely the marina view one, we are gonna see a domino effect as other developers gain confidence to build.

I think we are on the cusp of a big development movement between BF bridge, frankford ave, delaware, and second.

I totally agree on the domino effect. The addition of the town homes is a big deal. There is essentially a neighborhood being built where very little residential exsisted. Its coming in phases, but as residential gets built there will also be a need for retail as there is very little in the vicinity. Projects like One Water Sq. and 205 race of a great opportunity to fill their ground floor retail quickly.

If these projects show quick success I have no reason not to believe, regardless of past history, in Renaissance or something of its magnitude being built in this location.

I said it before this area is going through a rapid change and its long over due. This is the one area that had so many proposals and potential that took the biggest hit from the crash. There may not be the grand proposal of a Bridgeman View or Trump Tower, but I feel the proposals are becoming more realistic.