View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Just reviewing this thread and another memory came to light.

I don't know exactly when the Dairy Queen on Main St opened, but it was sometime in the mid-60s. This was a big deal, because prior to that all we had here in the way of ice cream chains was a Tastee-Freeze.

Our family had a summer cottage on Porters Lake so on weekends we would pile everything and everyone into the car and head that way. If the time was right and we were well-behaved we could sometimes convince the parents to stop at DQ for a treat.

A regular soft ice cream sundae soon became old hat and I began to explore the other offerings. I was grievously disappointed in Mr. Misty which was a slushie in a cup, and if you weren't patient (I wasn't) all you were left with was a cup of ice crystals. But I discovered they had a chocolate malted ice cream novelty on a stick which was fabulous. I cannot recall the name of it now but I loved those. The other thing I liked was a chocolate-dipped soft-serve cone which I had never seen before.

I remember us going there one day and the place was a zoo. There was a pop singer/band set up in the lot and people were everywhere, with a big crowd up on the hill above the property to watch the performance. We somehow found a spot and took in a few songs. Can't remember who it was for sure but Bobby Curtola might have been it.

Big time stuff!!
Was the ice cream on a stick called a Dilly Bar?