View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:17 AM

Ask MPPs for their view on amalgamation, Bratina tells Flamborough chamber
(Flamborough Review, Kevin Werner, Mar 28 2014)

Never say never to Flamborough de-amalgamating from the city of Hamilton, says Mayor Bob Bratina.

Bratina, who recently announced he won’t seek re-election this fall, says it’s not inconceivable that someday Flamborough may not be part of Hamilton in the future, citing pushes for separation in both Quebec and Scotland.

“To say no way ever again will Flamborough ever be disconnected from the city I’m not prepared to say that,” Bratina told about 30 residents during a Flamborough Chamber of Commerce round table event March 18 at the North Wentworth Arena.

While he isn’t encouraging de-amalgamation, all Bratina wants is the province to review amalgamation to see if it has helped or hurt the six municipalities that merged in 2001.

“I’m prepared to say I’m working hard to see Flamborough and Waterdown gets treated fairly and we will see where we will go from there,” he said.

Bratina pointed out one oddity that Flamborough residents can relate to.

Carlisle’s water supply is not fluoridated. But should Carlisle residents be charged for paying to fluoridate water for the rest of Hamilton?

“I was never in favour of (amalgamation),” he told the gathering in a wide-ranging talk. “I’m proud to be a mayor of a city that is working well. Still there may be some inequities that need to be addressed.”

During his State of the City address in downtown Hamilton in January, Bratina was criticized for bringing up the idea of amalgamation after years of relatively peaceful co-existence between the suburban and urban politicians. He hosted a university professor who has studied the impact of amalgamated municipalities in Ontario the same day after delivering his State of the City address. He felt the severe complaints were unjustified since he believes it’s time the impact of amalgamation on Hamilton should be investigated.

Read it in full here.