View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
Its a patriotic drivel war memorial to shove down our throats thats being proposed here simply because its where most of the military is. War memorial musumes are not major tourist attractions, if you flew to any major city in the world would vising one of their war musumes even cross your mind to go to? I've been to places in Europe plenty of times and I'm sure they have war musumes but its not something that I've been like hey that would be a top priority to see, I bet they have some cool old tanks and guns "yawn". The hmcs sackville is fine to view from the boardwalk but ifs its getting past the point to maintain than let the bloody thing sink into the harbour somewhere or off the coast and have a ceremony for it.
Serious? Have you not been to the memorial at Vimy Ridge? That place is basically a sacred pilgrimage for Canadians overseas in France and broader Europe.

How about the Canadian War Cemetary at Dieppe?

And in terms of tourist attractions overseas-- seems to me silly to visit London and not check out the Imperial War Museum. Or visit Warsaw and not Auschwitz. Or Munich and not Dachau. Every Aussie will tell you they don't miss the ANZAC memorial at Gallipoli or the monument at Pozières, France:
http://www.ambafrance-au.org/The-Som...t-for-visiting

And the Korean War memorial in Washington, DC, will stop you in your tracks:

One of my favorite museums of all time, is the Churchill War Rooms museum in London, which is basically the secret underground bunkers where Churchill and his Cabinet live during the German assault on Britain, from which Churchill broadcast many of his famous radio addresses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_War_Rooms

The museum receives over 300,000 visitors a year.

Also: the Imperial War Museum, also London, receives approx 1 million visitors every year.