View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
You really think Italy (or Greece) is as welcoming or tolerant to an African/Middle Eastern immigrant as Scandinavia, The Netherlands, the UK (barring the UKIP/Eastern Euro stuff, I'd say that it is generally much easier for an immigrant to integrate, succeed, and be accepted in the UK, if only for the fact that well-established immigrant support networks and communities are already in place) etc., are? And that is to make no mention of the generally vastly superior welfare/unemployment/state assistance schemes and more robust job markets in those places.

In terms of acceptance, Italy is definitely less accepting than Northern Europe, and many immigrants would openly tell you this. Look at all the shit their first black minister is getting (fellow ministers calling her an "orangutan," for example), all the crap towards Mario Balotelli, bananas regularly thrown at black footballers, etc. I am a person of color, and I certainly feel more comfortable in the UK or Norway or Sweden than Italy, or much less Greece.
Pff, dude, you're being enraged once more, huh? And you're just being ignorant of southern Europe's history. You need to be reminded (of course you actually know and forget), back to the sorry middle ages, most of Spain as well as some regions of southern Italy and southern France were invaded and downright dominated by the Arab lords. I'm not saying it was a complete curse since back then, as everyone here should know, the Muslim world was slightly more advanced and enlightened than the darker European obscurantism of that terrible period, thanks to their massive conquests and the achievements of the civilizations they had enslaved. The Arab lords are even said to be partly responsible for the European renaissance (that started precisely from Italy, you remember?), from reintroducing the ancient Greek work to the Euro regions they had conquered. Still, they Arabs weren't exactly what you'd call enlightened today. They were pretty quick to treat you as a slave, if not an animal. Their so-called doctors even used to say the Africans were closer to animals than the Europeans, for easier to bring down to slavery. They were ugly barbarians that left southern Europe with much grudge and issues.

You're nothing like a "person of color", you're just an American, spoiled like an annoying French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
I'd say that it is generally much easier for an immigrant to integrate, succeed, and be accepted in the UK, if only for the fact that well-established immigrant support networks and communities are already in place
mhm, I've never actually lived out there, but I've got a feeling that what's bolded is essential, indeed.