View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
The new USFL football league coming back and is expected to probably have a team in Memphis for the 2015 season. Plus the MLS would have to have a new stadium just to have a team in Memphis.
I think that would be a possible tenent for a downtown stadium, the problem with that is that most new MLS stadiums are 25 to 30 thousand. It could still be used for additional exhibit space for a convention center. My whole thing about the Liberty Bowl relocating to such a facility it to get it out of late Dec/early Jan weather. It a lower bowl consisted of 30,000 chairback and an upper area of 20,000 bleacher type seats with backs with lots of loge and suite seating in between for a total of around 55,000 with a curtain system to block the upper deck when unused. Fifa has approved of some synthetic surfaces these days. A stadium should still have the ability for the end areas to move in toward the center of the field for large scale basketball events like later rounds of the NCAA like I described earlier. the Liberty Bowl can still host U of M, may be as the U of M grows a west campus with classrooms and such could be incorporated with a fairgrounds development to grow it into somewhat of an on campus facility.

I hadn't heard of the new USFL. Memphis has a tortured history with semi to pro football ventures. It's all pure fantasy on my part, But I'd love for Memphis to land a top notch convention center and stadium to complement Beale St. and the FedEx Forum. I think Memphis could be successful with a resort with an indoor water park like Great Wolf. It's great for mini vacations like those taken during fall breaks or a winter escape. We have gone to Dallas or KC to do this 4 years in a row now, love to throw Memphis in that mix.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Nov 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM.