View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 4:06 PM

Great pictures, CBD. These personal photos/recollections really add to the mix in this thread.

--------------------------------------

While I was looking through the city directories the other day I came across this large advert for Hotel Leighton. Situated opposite Westlake Park, I can't find any previous references to it in this thread. According to Google Books:

"Hotel Leighton was designed by John C. Austin and built by George A. Leighton in 1904. It originally had 104 rooms but was expanded in 1912 to include the block between Alvarado and Lake Streets. Many Southern California Tennis Club tournaments were played on its tennis courts during World War I."

rescarta.lapl.org

The picture in the advert appears to be based on the one in this postcard:

www.image-archeology.com

The image was even used on their stationery:

Ebay

Hotel Leighton seems to have been a popular subject for postcards. Here's a quick round-up:

Elizabeth Fuller on Flickr, www.image-archeology.com and Ebay

There's a couple of pictures of Hotel Leighton on the USC site. This undated photo shows concrete sidewalks, but unpaved roads.

USC Digital Library

I'm not exactly sure how long Hotel Leighton survived. It's still there on the 1980 view on Historic Aerials, but gone by the 1989 view on Google Earth. Here's what's there today!

GSV

Finally, does anyone know if there's any connection between the Hotel Leighton and Leighton's Restaurant which used to occupy the first floor of the Amestoy Hotel. The close-up below is from a picture dated 1935. There's another picture on the USC site from 1938/39 where the sign says "Leighton Dairy Lunch".

USC Digital Library