View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
It's probably been mentioned as often as Sister Aimee railed against sin. Thaddeus had a residence at 923 Columbia, South Pasadena. As best as I can tell, it's still there! (As a side note, Thaddeus' granddaughter, Florence Lowe, grew up in the house. Frances is better known as Pancho Barnes, early aviatrix and founding member of the Happy Bottom Riding Club, Muroc - aka Edwards Air Force Base.

Another thing about Lowe, Thaddeus, that has probably been mentioned but overlooked (by me) was Lowe's connection with Abraham Lincoln. Thaddeus's experimentation with Balloons garnered Lincoln's attention. Lincoln's note (below) offers a tiny glimpse into the story. Lowe is also credited with being an ostensible founder of Cal Tech. Lowe observatory?

Yes! This great Victorian is still there, I pass by it all the time. According to Winter & Gebhard's "A Guide To Architecture In Los Angeles & Southern California," Lowe lived in this house while his own mansion was being built around the corner on Orange Grove Boulevard. Later in its history it was owned by the Gertmenian family (my mom used to work at the South Pas post office and chatted with the house's owner on several occasions). Supposedly it had been knocked off its foundation after an earthquake (1987 Whittier quake I think) and was in a so-so state of repair for many years, but it looks like it's now in the process of being fully restored. It's been used in a few movies too. I specifically remember it appearing in an episode of "The Wonder Years."