View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2013, 12:18 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I agree, but the media doesn't. (See Anderson Cooper.) Without positive PR, it will be difficult to generate the public demand for the megaprojects that really do need to move forward.

Also, there are some big investments in New York and Chicago that would benefit numerous Amtrak and commuter services, but they need to be done as singular megaprojects and can't really be addressed incrementally.
The media as a whole are attracted like flies to megaprojects. "Liberal" media likes them because they echo the Interstates' initial buildout; the "conservative" media likes them because they're inherently more fragile coalitions and riskier projects, and their failure makes for an "I told you so" moment.

You're right about the PR, though. Imagine if Anderson Cooper had spent his time talking about the dime-a-dozen humongously-wasteful small road projects instead of manufacturing criticism for a fairly successful small rail project in Vermont. The media are what they are; you've just got to point them in the right direction.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)