View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:28 AM

You're quite a sleuth Gaylord_Wilshire. Good job!

____

I found these great snapshots of the 1400 block of Miramar near Witmer, circa 1944.

ebay

ebay

ebay

ebay

below: Reverse side of one of the photos with the location and date (sorry, I'm not sure which one exactly).

ebay

Here is a map of the Miramar & Witmer area. It's up near the top where it says Emerald Drive.

1947 map

This must have been quite a prestigious neighborhood back around the turn of the century. Today not so much.
Only one home in those four photos has survived.

Here is the survivor.

google street view

Notice the HUGE palm tree that used to be on the left side of the front yard is gone.

google street view

below: Here's a larger view to see the many details. The tall chimney is missing on the right side.

google street views

below: This is the quality of 'architecture' on Miramar Street today....this is right next to the home.

google street view

Can you imagine tearing down one of those fine homes and replacing it with something as banal as this.

below: Across the street is a property that has not one but two fences.

google street view

At first I thought this was just a bunch of trees, then I realized it was a little bungalow court. Since the trees were in the way I thought I would view it from above.

I was right that it was a bungalow court but wrong that it was little. The place is huge and judging by the green roofs and architecture it once might have extended all the way to 3rd Street! Interesting property.

google street view

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 23, 2012 at 2:33 AM.