View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 2:06 AM
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
I think pointing out what it theoretically possible given unlimited funds and no need to make a profit is easy. I would like to see someone actually propose a scenario in which it make economic sense to build an enormous underwater metropolis as depicted here. Any actually underwater communities will most likely have a completely different form to match the challenges of sea.

As far as Virgin Galactic's space tourism goes, that company has made a calculation that they can eventually make a profit by charging customers $200K per person for suborbital flights (or that even if they do not profit, later developments will lead to a profit).

If you can build an underwater city that can contain 500-1000 foot towers and house a million people or so and show that they will be able to afford to live there, then my hat is off to you!
I never said "I" could - and I never said anything about any heights or population - I was only responding to the original question - nice moving of the goalposts, there!

If it can be imagined, then it CAN be built - whether it WILL or is PRACTIBLE or ECONOMIC are entirely different questions.

Does it make economic sense - and to build a whole city - I agree - NO WAY IN ANY CONSEAVABLE SENSE! I was speaking of a single complex. And I also agree, that it would take a vastly different shape/appearance.

Maybe we'll see it on one of the outer planet's moons that are totally covered in water - long after we're dead, naturally...